On this day: 2015

This week international teams from all around the globe will partake in pointless friendlies at the behest of FIFA. This means there's no actual football to focus on, which is a shame as I have absolutely zero interest in watching England.

So with not much going on, we decided to blow away the cobwebs and take a trip down memory lane to revisit Town games from year's gone by. We plan to bring you more over the coming weeks, but the first in the series takes us to the Chris Powell era...

Huddersfield Town 0 Fulham 2 - 21st March 2015 : John Smith's Stadium

Attendance: 11,635

Goals: Kacaniklic (2'), Fofana (90+6')

The Terriers went into this match looking to improve their recent home form, having drawn with Norwich and lost to Rotherham in their last two games in West Yorkshire. Meanwhile the visitors - managed by Kit Symons - were desperately trying to avoid relegation from the Championship.

Fulham took the lead in bizarre fashion when a corner from Alex Kacaniklic dribbled into the net past the confused looking pair of Alex Smithies and Mark Hudson. The Terriers put their lackadaisical start behind them and began to apply heavy pressure to the visitors.

Ishmael Miller twice hit the post for the Terriers and Jacob Butterfield rattled the crossbar with a superb 20-yard effort, but more was to come.

In the second-half Shaun Hutchinson was sent-off for a deliberate handball in the box, with referee Richard Clark initially dismissing Cauley Woodrow by accident.

The resulting chaos caused a long delay and perhaps unnerved Nahki Wells as he saw his spot-kick saved by Marcus Bettinelli. Fortunately the Bermudan was given a chance to redeem himself when another penalty was awarded after a foul on Sean Scannell.

Town looked set to grab the equaliser that their play had deserved, but Wells failed again from 12 yards as he hit the post. The home side continued to push and push but were eventually caught on the break in the last-minute of second-half stoppage time as substitute Fofana finished from close range.

The result saw Fulham move up to 20th on 43 points and left Town one point above in 18th position. Neither side would be relegated that season, finishing 16th and 17th respectively, but Town were left aggrieved as their final match of the season was abandoned due to numerous pitch invasions.

The football league decided not to replay the game, or to award Town three points, despite the game being abandoned by the actions of Blackpool fans. This denied the Terriers the opportunity to finish above bitter rivals Leeds United.

Line-up: 3-5-2

GK: Alex Smithies

RWB: Tommy Smith

CB: Mark Hudson

CB: David Edgar

CB: Joel Lynch

LWB: Sean Scannell

CM: Connor Coady

CM: Jacob Butterfield

CM: Jonathan Hogg

ST: Nahki Wells

ST: Ishmael Miller

1 view

Follow Us on Instagram:

Find Us On
  • Terrierblog Facebook
  • Terrierblog Twitter
  • Terrierblog Instagram

©2019 by Terrierblog

Proudly supporting HTAFC


  • Terrierblog Facebook
  • Terrierblog Twitter
  • Terrierblog Instagram