The Football Manager Chronicles - Part Six

Updated: Jul 3, 2019

Happy New Year! Welcome back to the TerrierBlog Football Manager Chronicles as our save creeps into 2019 with a bang/whimper. Our last game of 2018 had been away to Everton where my Town team had been comprehensively beaten 2-0, would the New Year and a trip to Wembley bring about a change in fortunes?

Tottenham Hotspur (A): 2-3

I sent the boys out with carefree instructions to enjoy themselves, there was no point demanding a performance or expecting points, we were firmly the underdogs here after all. When Victor Wanyama scored from the edge of the box inside the first 8 minutes I wasn’t overly worried, and there was no reason to be.

Abdelhamid Sabiri levelled the scores less than a minute later with a superb solo goal which seemed to give us a significant boost in confidence. The rest of the half flew in, like an enthralling basketball game such was the end-to-end nature of the match.

Lucas Moura took advantage of some sloppy defending in the 31st minute to edge Spurs ahead, but again it was nothing to worry about. We were giving as good as we got and I was confident that we could give a good account of ourselves in the second-half.

Toby Alderweireld score from a corner 12 minutes from time to put the game beyond us with Abdelhamid Sabiri grabbing his second of the game, and what turned out to be a consolation, in the 87th minute.

Our defending wasn’t amazing throughout the game but we had entertained the fans, and on another day could well have claimed a point. Onwards and upwards ey?

Bournemouth (A): 2-2

On every FM save that I have played this year, Lewis Cook always goes on to become a world beater. Despite my knowledge of this, I was unable to find an answer to him in the first-half at Dean Court.

The energetic midfielder burst through our gaping defence to slam Bournemouth into the lead in the 27th minute. How we managed to get to half-time without conceding another goal I will never know, The Cherries were rampant.

Fortunately my players were receptive to the half-time rocket I dished out, heading out into the second period with a real determination and grit. A foul on Abdelhamid Sabiri in the box forced the referee to point to the spot in the 57th minute.

As the best placed penalty taker in my squad, Christopher Schindler stepped up to take the kick and even the score. Less than 20 minutes later we were ahead thanks to a headed goal from Steve Mounie, who leapt like a salmon to meet Terrence Kongolo’s delicious cross.

That goal seemed to have killed off Bournemouth, who didn’t really begin to threaten our goal. The odd pot shot flew high and wide of Jonas Lossl’s goal but I was never overly worried, until one of them from Lys Mousset lolloped into the back of the Dane’s goal.

I was furious, not particularly with the players, the officials or my tactics but with this ridiculous glitch that seemed to be afflicting my save. Whenever I raced into a lead I was almost guaranteed to be pegged back by an amazing long shot from an otherwise terrible player.

Once again I resisted the temptation to throw my laptop out of the window and moved on to the next game, a home tie against the worst side in the division…

Fulham (H): 2-0

What can I really say about this game? We did what we needed to do, nothing more and nothing less. Both of our goals came from set-piece routines, with Steve Mounie and Christopher Schindler heading home from near post corners.

Fulham’s danger man Aleksandar Mitrovic was sent off in the dying embers of the first-half after planting an elbow in Schindler’s face. In the second-half nothing much of note happened, we held on to claim the all-important 3 points and put a bit of clear space between ourselves and 18th placed Brighton.

Wolves (A): 1-2

What an absolute shit show of a game this was. After the win against Fulham it was clear that some of my players had let complacency creep into their games, namely Tommy Smith and Zanka who were atrocious in the opening half hour.

Willy Boly and Diogo Jota sent Wolves into a commanding 2-0 lead within 27 minutes, punishing mistakes from the aforementioned complacency Kings in my squad. Tommy Smith paid for that as I subbed him off moments after the second goal.

At half-time the players heard about my anger in no uncertain terms, and once again responded well. After registering 3 shots in the first-half we went on to chalk up another 26 in the second period.

Unfortunately only one of them hit the net, a curled effort from the tireless Jonathan Hogg. We were thwarted by the woodwork, a last-ditch tackle or Rui Patricio time and time again, with the footballing Gods favouring Wolves over Terriers.

I could do nothing but sympathise with the squad at the final whistle, we really had given it everything we had in the second-half, but it just wasn’t to be. Wolves grabbed a vital victory that pulled them into mid table and left us hovering just above the drop.

What about the cup?

Oh, we decided to opt out of the FA Cup this time around… We certainly didn’t play Reading at home in the third round and get pumped 4-2, nope that DID NOT happen…

CLICK HERE as we move into the month of love and try and register some more points.

29 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All